How to move ~/Mail from one computer to another?

David L. Emerson demerson3x at angelbase.com
Sat Jan 8 02:09:08 GMT 2011

I've done this a couple times, and it is always a little scary. And if you don't
do things right, offlineimap is capable of deleting lots!

Here is a pretty good checklist:

~/.offlineimaprc
metadata directory (listed in the dotfile)
all localfolders (listed in the dotfile)
anything else listed in the dotfile

When I do this, I will usually disable all of the accounts but one -- and make
that one a small one -- and test using that one small account. Create some new
mail, delete some mail, play around with it like you normally would, and make
sure all is working correctly.
When I've verified all is working well, I'll enable one more account, and do a
little more testing with that. If that's looking good, I'll go ahead and enable
all of them, and cross my fingers.

~David.