tarballs (was: [ANNOUNCE] OfflineIMAP v6.3.1 released)

Thomas Kahle tomka at gentoo.org
Mon Jan 10 20:38:45 GMT 2011

On 18:53 Mon 10 Jan     , Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 10:34:46AM +0100, Sebastian Spaeth wrote:
> > On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 20:23:11 +0100, Thomas Kahle <tomka at gentoo.org> wrote:
> >
> > > First off: I have 'inherited' the patch from other Gentoo maintainers
> > > before me.  Second, I don't have MacOS to do any experiments with this,
> > > but from reading the post I think I understand that on MacOS there is a
> > > 'CoreFramework' that needs to be loaded before the threads using it are
> > > started.  If I understand this correctly this is independent of the fact
> > > that offlineimap uses python and can be reproduced in C.
> >
> > Oh, I am not blaming you for fixing bugs, or inheriting patches....
> >
> > I just want to understand what a patch does when I don't get it. I see
> > how we might be needing to initialize something on Mac if its broken,
> > but then we should have something in the code commenting on what it does
> > and why it is in there. Otherwise someone in a few years will say, "oh
> > we import everything from locale but we never use it, so lets remove
> > it".
> >
> > Also, we should be able to import something more specific rather than
> > "*" polluting our default namespace. Importing * would give us functions
> > such as normalize(), format(), format_string() in our default namespace.
> > It would also override str() and other stuff that could well lead to
> > unexpected behavior.
>
> Yes. OfflineIMAP should be OK on Mac. If not, gentoo maintainers may
> tell us.
>
> The current maintainer at Gentoo is doing exactly what you describe
> before by patching OfflineIMAP with any good reason behind "it is
> inherited".

The Gentoo maintainer doing this copied the solution from the web
because there is no chance to investigate this without an actual mac,
running "SnowLeopard" or any later cat.

> Sadly, we still don't know if the problem comes from OfflineIMAP or
> Gentoo...

It is a problem with threading on that particular flavor of MacOS(BSD),
not related to Gentoo, Python, OfflineIMAP.

Cheers,
Thomas

--
Thomas Kahle