getting rid of X-Offlineimap header

Sun Jan 23 16:29:48 GMT 2011

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 21:10:09 -0500, Dan Christensen <jdc at uwo.ca> wrote:
> Sebastian Spaeth <sebastian at sspaeth.de> writes:
>
> > So, what we could do, is checking the imapobj.capabilities for "UIDPLUS"
> > and if it contains that, we don't fudge headers but rely on the
> > APPENDUID response.
>
> Yes, please!  I brought this up in December too
>
>   http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.mail.imap.offlineimap.general/1968

Interesting, thanks for the link. Not inserting the header when not
necessary is the right thing to do anyway, but I am not even sure yet it
will solve your problems.

THe header adding was done whenever a message is "saved" on an IMAP
server, and apparently this is what we do in the IMAP<->IMAP case. I am
not sure why that would be needed on the local IMAP message anyway, so
this would need investigating.

I have not looked at how the UID translation stuff works, as I don't use
it myself.

> My mail client finds it confusing that messages disappear and reappear
> with a new UID.

I bet it does confuse it :-).

> > Am I missing something obvious here? Do we need that header for a
> > different purpose too?
>
> I don't think it is used for anything else.

Right. So don't let us insert it when not needed. The patch to do it
properly is not that difficult.