git master is broke

Nicolas Sebrecht nicolas.s-dev at laposte.net
Mon Jan 24 18:32:07 GMT 2011

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 06:19:24PM +0100, Sebastian Spaeth wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 14:00:20 -0800, Ethan Schoonover <es at ethanschoonover.com> wrote:
> > I'm seeing the same offlineimap.version import error here on Arch
> > Linux (cloning from Nicolas' git repo directly):
> >
> > File ".../offlineimap-build/offlineimap/ui/UIBase.py", line 19, in <module>
> > import offlineimap.version
> > ImportError: No module named version
>
> "next" has the patch that moves the version string to
> "offlineimap.version". Master doesn't have it and there we still need to
> refer to
>
> offlineimap/version.py:versionstr = "6.3.1"

I wonder how it happened. BTW, it should be working now (next and master
are the same since the last release (v6.3.2-rc2).

> > Assuming this is related to the migration of version constant
> > definition to __init__.py ? I'll try to troubleshoot here, but wanted
> > to send out a note as well.
>
> Yep. That is fallout from that. I am not sure what is going to happen
> with master once we merge in the next branch (and the problem thus
> resolved). Do we need to keep a long-lived 6.3.1 branch or do we focus
> on 6.3.2 as the new stable then?

I think the most sensible is to focus to v6.3.2 and encourage updates to
this releases. I started a maint branch some time ago to apply fixes
against 6.3.1 but I didn't feel to maintain it that much. I'll really
maintain older version starting up to 6.3.2. So, v6.3.2 will be the root
for fixes to apply to the 6.3 branch.