maildir on windows share ?

Fri Jul 8 10:21:48 UTC 2011

On Fri, 8 Jul 2011 09:17:46 +0200, Vladimir Marek wrote:

Hi Vladimir,
I guess you are the first one to actually use OfflineImap on Windows for
quite some time, at least I have never heard of another one :-).

> I found out (the hard way) that file names containing ':' are not
> possible in windows filesystems.

The thing is that OfflineImap operates on Maildirs, and the maildir
specification requires ':', so sticking to the specs pedantically, it is
simply not possible to have a Maildir on Windows. Outch.

> I thought, would it be possible to replace ':' by ';' for example? Or
> other character? Maybe ':' is defined in IMAP standard, or something?

http://cr.yp.to/proto/maildir.html which is still the canonical Maildir
spec requires ':'. That having said, I don't see why we shouldn't be
able to let the user change that character in case he willingly wants to
deviate from the Maildir specs.

> It looks sufficiently easy to change that in folder/Mailidir.py ...

The changes would be limited to that file, yes. There is a regex and a
couple of places where the ':' is used in order to parse or construct
the filenames though, so this would require a bit of work. (still
feasible though).

I am not sure what Nicolas would say about such an optional configuration, but in
case he finds it acceptable... Care to whip up a patch?