Speed of syncing several folders at the same time vs sequentially

Marc MERLIN marc at merlins.org
Wed Jul 20 22:38:43 BST 2011

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 11:35:58PM +0200, Vladimir Marek wrote:
> > > In my experience, maxconnections 8 was much faster than 1. I didn't
> > > measure it, but I would guess that it was 8x faster actually. But maybe
> > > it depends on the IMAP server?
> >
> > I think it does depend on the server.
> > Did 8 threads actually spawn 8 python processes, or are those 8 threads
>
> I don't know, and can't test it at the moment. Sorry. But why should
> that matter? The bottleneck will be IMAP server or network anyway ...

So, it's not the network for me.
The imap server is gmail, so I think opening different connections should
allow all my folders to sync in // faster than doing them sequentially.

I'm however seeing // downloads being slower than a serialized download
right now, and I'm not sure if gmail or offlineimap is to blame.

Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/