SQlite backend series updated

Thu Mar 31 17:43:34 UTC 2011

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 16:31:49 +0200, Vincent Beffara <vbeffara at ens-lyon.fr> wrote:
> That would be reassuring for testing out new features ... Couldn't it be
> emulated by setting both ends to be read-only ? [I haven't looked at
> the way you implement read-only, but if it is low-level enough in the
> process, it would be very close to --dry-run or at least combinable with
> it. I mean, dry-run == read-only and verbose.]

Unfortunately, not. readonly simply implies that we skip to sync a
folder in one direction (on a rather high level), so it would never
examine which messages it would usually transfer.

In general, it is not difficult to skip actuall transferring/deleting of
messages. The only problem is that subsequent steps might differ if we don't
actually perform a sync. E.g. if we delete Mail1 on the REMOTE, and only
pretend to sync, we might afterwards try to modify flags of Mail1 from
LOCAL to REMOTE (which would not happen as we would have deleted Mail1
on LOCAL before we come to flag synchronization). I could imagine a
whole bunch of subtle situations where things like this could occur, so
this would have to be thought through carefully.