offlineimap and the Assertion Error (was: Syncing IMAP to IMAP: "Error from select: ('NO', ['Mailbox does not exist'])" or "Error from select: ('NO', ['Mailbox does not exist'])")

Mon May 16 14:58:27 BST 2011

On Fri, 13 May 2011 08:54:56 +0200, Johannes Kastl <ojkastl at gmx.de> wrote:
> > Copy message 2254 from Entw&APw-rfe:
> >  Copy message 2254 IMAP[Entw&APw-rfe] -> MappedIMAP[Entw&APw-rfe]
> >  Thread 'Copy message 2253 from Entw&APw-rfe' terminated with exception:
> > imap: Returned object from fetching 2253: ('OK', [('189 (UID 2253 BODY[] {1845}', ... [snipped]
> > imap: savemessage: called
> > imap: savemessage: using date "24-Jul-2007 18:04:18 +0100"
> > imap: savemessage: content is: ... [snipped]

mmh, Folder names with Umlauts, fantastic :-). Welcome to the world of
IMAP madness. IMAP does not specify any encoding which should be used
for folder names, but the *recommend* some weird modified UTF-7 encoding
be used.

Some servers implement some UTF-8 extension (which offlineimap currently
does not support, but which we should. Anyone up for this?).

Your error message implies that it tries to fetch a message from the
IMAP server and the server thinks that UID is not existing. I will
propose a better error message for the next version, by the way.

I am sure that is some weird problem with the folder name at play here.