[ANNOUNCE] OfflineIMAP v6.4.0

Peter Lewis pete at muddygoat.org
Thu Nov 24 12:59:51 GMT 2011

Hi,

I've just upgraded to 4.6.0 and have been trying to do implement my reverse
nametrans today. There is a slight complication is that the remote repository
uses . as a separator, while locally I use /. But, I understand that offlineimap
handles that part of the translation automatically for me. And I don't think
that that is the problem.

My issue seems to be that offlineimap sees some local maildir folders as having
trailing slashes, while not others. Firstly, I got this:

ERROR: INFINITE FOLDER CREATION DETECTED! Folder 'Personal/Archive/2010/'
(repository 'LocalPersonal') would be created as folder 'Archive.2010'
(repository 'RemotePersonal'). The latter becomes 'Personal/Archive/2010' in
return, leading to infinite folder creation cycles.

Note that the trailing slash was getting removed, causing the infinite folder
creation.

Okay, so I modified the nametrans rule to remove any trailing slash on the local
-> remote rule. That satisfied the Personal/Archive/2010 folder. But, that led
to this error:

ERROR: INFINITE FOLDER CREATION DETECTED! Folder 'Personal/ArchLinux'
(repository 'LocalPersonal') would be created as folder 'ArchLinux' (repository
'RemotePersonal'). The latter becomes 'Personal/ArchLinux/' in return, leading
to infinite folder creation cycles.

So I have another folder, Personal/ArchLinux, which does not appear to have a
trailing slash.

I can't seem to solve this, because some local folders have trailing slashes and
some don't (at least as far as offlineimap is concerned). But these aren't
reflected in the foldernames on the filesystem.  E.g. these excerpts from the
maildir "Personal":

% ls -l

drwx------ 18 pete pete 4.0K Nov 24 12:26 Archive/
drwx------  6 pete pete 4.0K Nov 24 11:59 ArchLinux/

% ls -l Archive/

drwx------ 5 pete pete 4.0K Aug 14 10:18 2010/

The trailing slashes here are added by ls, but neither directory has a literal
slash in its name. Why would offlineimap be interpreting them differently?

Peter.