Dropped unread state

Dave Abrahams dave at boostpro.com
Mon Sep 26 10:50:54 UTC 2011

Yesterday I was surprised to find a wad of messages I had read long ago
suddenly marked unread again.  This time it was about 10 messages, but
I've seen this effect before, with entire maildirs of 1000s of messages.

A friend of mine (to whom this hasn't happened with his latest
configuration) and I have similar setups, with two differences:

1. He switched a while back to having offlineimap communicate with his
   local dovecot instead of trying to access Maildirs directly, as I am.
   He actually reports that when he was allowing OLI to operate on
   maildirs, it was dropping unread marks.

   My theory *was* that allowing offlineimap to access local Maildirs
   would be more efficient, but then again, dovecot is compiled C code,
   so maybe I should switch.

2. I suspect that I restart offlineimap far more often than he does.
   How well is offlineimap designed to cope with getting a SIGKILL in
   the middle of a run?

Thanks

--
Dave Abrahams