Dropped unread state

Tue Sep 27 08:16:49 UTC 2011

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 06:50:54 -0400, Dave Abrahams <dave at boostpro.com> wrote:

I don't see how IMAP<->IMAP should work better than IMAP<->Maildir as it
uses the same sync logic.

> 2. I suspect that I restart offlineimap far more often than he does.
>    How well is offlineimap designed to cope with getting a SIGKILL in
>    the middle of a run?

It is designed to not lose mail data, but I cannot promise that a wrong flag
might ensue in some cases when you kill it before it manages to update
the status cache or so. It usually should not hurt to abort, but I have
been wrong before...

It usually use SIGINT for bailing out. Also SIGUSR1 and SIGUSR2
work nicely and SIGUSR2 will shut down cleanly:

If sent a SIGUSR1 it will abort any current (or next future) sleep of all
accounts that are configured to "autorefresh". In effect, this will trigger a
full sync of all accounts to be performed as soon as possible.

If sent a SIGUSR2, it will stop "autorefresh mode" for all accounts. That is,
accounts will abort any current sleep and will exit after a currently running
synchronization has finished. This signal can be used to gracefully exit out of
a running offlineimap "daemon".