offlineimap and google chat logs

Nicolas Sebrecht nicolas.s-dev at laposte.net
Mon Aug 6 21:15:55 UTC 2012

On Mon, Aug 06, 2012 at 10:11:18PM +0400, Eygene Ryabinkin wrote:

> Uhm, seems like I had missed some development document where branch
> handling strategy is outlined.

Main workflow is explained in the documentation but everything is not
there.  Don't worry. I expect to give more explanations about that.
The /where/, /how/ and /why/ are usually good questions. ,-)

>                                 It also came to me that Changlog
> should be fed with the entry telling that the read-only folder
> handling was fixed.

True. It would be much better but don't worry too much about that. We
had time without Changelog. Once introduced, we ― as maintainers ― must
take care because users will read it but it is version oriented. So,
it's not much a big deal if updated later.  Missing entries can be added
at release time.

Developers tend to not take care of Changelog and most people don't even
realize the amount of work that is required to maintain a good
Changelog.  This is why I usually remind developers used to contribute
to make their own entry at the top of the Changelog if needed.

For this patch, it's fine if the Changelog update is squashed with the
cherry-pick into next.

> Are there any written notes on maintaining OIMAP tree?

There are usefull documentations in general at

  https://github.com/OfflineIMAP/offlineimap/tree/master/docs/doc-src

where you can find workflow tips

  https://github.com/OfflineIMAP/offlineimap/blob/master/docs/doc-src/HACKING.rst