Could the current tree be made more clear?

Kevin Lyda kevin at ie.suberic.net
Wed Aug 8 18:08:50 BST 2012

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 5:26 PM, Nicolas Sebrecht
<nicolas.s-dev at laposte.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 12:47:53PM +0100, Kevin Lyda wrote:
>> https://github.com/OfflineIMAP/offlineimap has the most recent fix for
>> the Gmail Chat readonly bug, so I think that's the current head.  I've
>> submitted a pull request on https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/wiki for
>> the offline imap formula to reflect that.
> OfflineIMAP repository is likely to become the official one. We are in
> the process of creating a core team of maintainers. The official
> announce is pending for few weeks to give us the time to be used to work
> together.

OK, I think I understand. To explain my issue, Homebrew on OS X
supports two sources for each "formula" (i.e. package): a stable
version and a "head" version.

The patch in August (
https://github.com/OfflineIMAP/offlineimap/commit/6c85a4518d ) to fix
Gmail support is only in the OfflineIMAP tree, so I would like to
point the Homebrew offlineimap formula "head" version to that. As you
later say...

> Though, the WIP/development for the next release will happen on
> OfflineIMAP github organization. Main developers and contributors are
> aware of this change and users don't not care much. Latters will be
> advised in time.

...so it would seem those willing to brave the bleeding edge, the
OfflineIMAP tree is correct as the spaetz tree is pretty much in
maintenance mode.

The only reason I say all this is because the Homebrew maintainer is
understandably cautious and is concerned that the right tree is being
chosen for head.

https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/pull/14046

If you can confirm or correct my understanding, I've already pointed
him at this thread so any reply should be visible to him. The patch
does work; my Gmail backups now work. And recent news implies more
people might want to back up their Gmail so there might be an increase
in hitting this bug.

Kevin

--
Kevin Lyda