weird problem with offlineimap

Eygene Ryabinkin rea-fbsd at codelabs.ru
Fri Aug 24 20:24:53 BST 2012

Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 11:59:14AM -0500, Benjamin Slade wrote:
> On my own system, I'm having an odd problem with offlineimap. I've cloned
> the git repository, and done a system-wide install via "make clean",
> "make", "sudo python setup.py install".

Where OfflineIMAP stuff gets installed?

> If I call "offlineimap" from any location other than than inside of the
> downloaded git repo (e.g. from the commandline while in my home directory,
> for instance), I get the following error:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/local/bin/offlineimap", line 20, in <module>
>     from offlineimap import OfflineImap
> ImportError: cannot import name OfflineImap

Seems like your OfflineIMAP installation path isn't in the Python's
search path.  Does the output of
{{{
python -c 'import sys; print sys.path'
}}}
contain the directory where your OfflineIMAP installation lives.
Something like '/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages'.

> If I call "offlineimap" while I'm inside of the git repo, then
> everything works as expected.

Because Python looks for the imports in the current directory too.
--
Eygene Ryabinkin                                        ,,,^..^,,,
[ Life's unfair - but root password helps!           | codelabs.ru ]