Sync Failure due to UID error with gmail?

Jeremiah Via jeremiah.via at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 17:08:30 UTC 2012

On 2012-12-13, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 12:53:30PM -0500, Jeremiah Via wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I fixed my problem, so I figured I would follow up on it.
>>
>> I think there is something a bit wonky about Gmail and UIDs---perhaps due
>> to some bug in one of the many clients I have used over the years.
>>
>> This error was not limited to offlineimap; I was able to reproduce it
>> with fetchmail and mbsync.
>>
>> To solve it, I went and delete some really old emails. After I did that,
>> sync worked just fine. Odd. It would be nice if there was a way the
>> error would spit out the email subject or something, to allow for a more
>> targeted deletion.
>
> Interesting...
>
> Note that gmail kind of works some days without me touching anything.
> By deleting old mails, how many did you delete in percentage?

I deleted at most 200 old emails. I'm not sure how much a percentage
change in emails that is, but there was no change in percent of inbox
space used.

> Are you sure this just didn't get you down below a threshold where if you
> have more that this many mails, gmail times out on occasion and cuts your
> connection?

This is possible, but I think not. I'm subscribed to enough lists that
I'm pretty sure I've already made up the number of list emails.

I don't think it's related to mailbox size, because my connection would
cut out on email 25 or so. I could run single-threaded offlineimap and
it would keep chugging along and fail for emails ~25 to ~40, then
download a few, then fail for another group, etc.

Cheers,
Jeremiah