Locally Archiving email in folder - no delete if remote delete

Rainer M Krug R.M.Krug at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 09:09:28 GMT 2012

On 11/12/12 20:37, Thomas Kahle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 10:17 Tue 11 Dec 2012, Rainer M Krug wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> There was a recent discussion about using offlineimap as a "only download from remote and do
>> not delete local email even if deleted on remote server" setup, kind of an archive off all
>> mails. Has there been any progress? Unfortunately I can't find the thread at the moment.
>
> Why can't the archive be on the server too?  I keep my server and local copy in sync with
> offlineimap and additionally I backup my local maildir periodically.

Similar reason to the thread "offlineimap sync":I want to have them save in case google is doing
something stupid.

But I think I will go a mixed route: I will keep them on the server and just make a local copy
(possibly hardlinks).

My main mail client is thunderbird, which complicates things quite a bit.

>> My reasoning: I want to archive my email from gmail on a local imap server by doing the
>> following:
>>
>> 1) label the email on gmail as "To Be Archived" 2) use offlinemap to download all emails in
>> this "To Be Archived" folder 3) delete them on gmail
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> Maybe it would be better to implement a solution for this from scratch (should not be too much
> work with imaplib2 or similar) or use an entirely different tool.  The design goals of
> offlineimap seem to me in a quite different direction.

Would probably be the best option, but above my time available at the moment.

Cheers,

Rainer