ValueError: Backend could not find uid for message

John Wiegley jwiegley at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 21:23:01 UTC 2012

> 1) Can you tell if your server supports the UIDPLUS extension (check
> with --info switch"? It uses a different code path then.

They both claim to:

vulcan ~/src/ansi $ offlineimap -1 --info
OfflineIMAP 6.5.2.1
  Licensed under the GNU GPL v2+ (v2 or any later version)
Remote repository 'RemoteIMAP': type 'IMAP'
Host: imap.gmail.com Port: None SSL: True
Establishing connection to imap.gmail.com:993
Server supports ID extension.
Server welcome string: * OK Gimap ready for requests from 98.215.105.167 a10if8608813yhd.97
Server capabilities: ('IMAP4REV1', 'UNSELECT', 'IDLE', 'NAMESPACE', 'QUOTA', 'ID', 'XLIST', 'CHILDREN', 'X-GM-EXT-1', 'UIDPLUS', 'COMPRESS=DEFLATE')

Local repository 'LocalIMAP': type 'MappedIMAP'
Host: localhost Port: None SSL: 0
Establishing connection to tunnel:/opt/local/libexec/dovecot/imap
Server supports ID extension.
Server welcome string: * PREAUTH [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE SORT SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE QRESYNC ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH LIST-STATUS] Logged in as johnw
Server capabilities: ('IMAP4REV1', 'LITERAL+', 'SASL-IR', 'LOGIN-REFERRALS', 'ID', 'ENABLE', 'IDLE', 'SORT', 'SORT=DISPLAY', 'THREAD=REFERENCES', 'THREAD=REFS', 'MULTIAPPEND', 'UNSELECT', 'CHILDREN', 'NAMESPACE', 'UIDPLUS', 'LIST-EXTENDED', 'I18NLEVEL=1', 'CONDSTORE', 'QRESYNC', 'ESEARCH', 'ESORT', 'SEARCHRES', 'WITHIN', 'CONTEXT=SEARCH', 'LIST-STATUS')

> 2) could you insert a debug output in line 575 in folder/IMAP.py?
>     # get new UID from the APPENDUID response, it could look like OK
>     # [APPENDUID 38505 3955] APPEND completed with 38505 being folder
>     # UIDvalidity and 3955 the new UID.
>     typ, resp = imapobj.response('APPENDUID')
> + self.ui.warn("Moo" + str(resp))

> I would be interested to see what the server returns so that we can debug
> this? Alternatively, check from the current "next" branch, which contains
> better error reporting too. The commit is 7da50e6.  I would need a log of a
> failing run to get an idea what exactly fails here.

I'm on the latest next branch now, but I added the debug string just for extra
measure.  I'll let you know soon.

John