Account <=> Repository Association

Dave Abrahams dave at boostpro.com
Fri Jul 20 14:20:54 UTC 2012

on Thu Jul 19 2012, Dave Abrahams <dave-AT-boostpro.com> wrote:

> As I was working on a patch, I realized that OfflineIMAP has a built-in
> assumption that every repository is associated with only one account.
> My setup violates that assumption, but OfflineIMAP never told me so.
>
> Fortunately, that assumption doesn't seem (so far) to be very deeply
> ingrained.  From what I've seen, it's merely used in printing diagnostic
> information.  So I would like to remove that assumption from the code,
> e.g. by removing the .account and .accountname fields/properties from
> all Repositories and folders.
>
> Obviously I don't want to do this if there are strong objections, so I'd
> like to hear from others.

As far as I can tell, from having looked further, a separate Repository
object is created for each account in which a given config-file's
Repository participates.  The only potential problem with this, AFAICT,
is that these two Repository objects have the same name, and thus share
files in the .offlineimap/ directory.  I'm not certain whether that's
benign or not.  Anyone care to shed some light on this?

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing