Problem with OfflineIMAP

Dave Abrahams dave at boostpro.com
Tue Jul 24 15:34:40 UTC 2012

Hi Tim,

on Tue Jul 24 2012, Tim Kroeger <Tim.Kroeger-AT-ohm-hochschule.de> wrote:

> Dear Dave,
>
> On Tue, 24 Jul 2012, Dave Abrahams wrote:
>
>> On Jul 24, 2012, at 3:55 AM, Tim Kroeger <Tim.Kroeger at ohm-hochschule.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Thank you very much.  I would like to get the "next" branch, but
>>> unfortunately I have never worked with git.  I'm quite familiar
>>> with subversion, however.  I now did:
>>>
>>>    git clone git://github.com/spaetz/offlineimap.git
>>>
>>> to get the repository (as described on the homepage), but I didn't
>>> figure out how to switch to the "next" branch.  Neither
>>>
>>>    git checkout next
>>>
>>> nor
>>>
>>>    git checkout --track -b next origin/next
>>>
>>> seem to do that for me.  Can you please tell me what the correct command is?
>>
>> Those commands look right to me.  Sorry; wish I could be more help.
>
> I found out what went wrong: Instead of
>
> 	git clone git://github.com/spaetz/offlineimap.git

No, spaetz' repo should have the appropriate "next" branch, but as I
mentioned there's one patch in my repo that you might need.

> I had to do
>
> 	git clone git://github.com/dabrahams/offlineimap.git
>
> I wonder why there are two different repositories of the software ...

Welcome to the land of DVCS.

> Anyway, with your fix, the problem I initially described still occurs:
> That is, any email added to a folder on the maildir side, gets
> reproduced again and again each time OfflineIMAP is run.

Personally I no longer use maildir; I have a local IMAP server so I
talk to both ends via IMAP protocol.

> This continues until I manually delete all instances of the respective
> email.

Well, I'm having enough problems that I'm about to attempt (again) to
escape offlineimap.  I'm planning to combine these technologies:

  http://mailsync.sourceforge.net/ (for my INBOX --- it's too slow for
                                   huge folders but just fine for ordinary
                                   ones)

  http://imapsync.lamiral.info/ (for my All Mail archive and Spam folders)