Problem with OfflineIMAP

Tim Kroeger Tim.Kroeger at ohm-hochschule.de
Fri Jul 20 14:32:43 BST 2012

Dear developers,

I have a problem with OfflineIMAP.  Im using it (version 6.5.4) to
keep an IMAP and a MailDir folder collection synchronized.

As long as I am only working on the IMAP side, OfflineIMAP keeps
synchronizing everything perfectly alright.

When I start working on the MailDir side, however, this is no longer
true.  In particular, I am doing the following:

* I send an email.  My email client sends it via an SMTP server and
then automatically places a copy of that email into my INBOX folder
(on the MailDir side, this times).

* I use my email client to copy this email to a different folder (that
is, INBOX/tk) and to expunge it from the INBOX folder (still on the
MailDir side).

* I then run OfflineIMAP.  It produces some error message.  (I ran it
as

 	offlineimap -d imap,maildir -l debug.log -f INBOX,INBOX/tk

but did not attach the debug.log here because it contains sensitive
information -- please let me know where to send it such that only the
OfflineIMAP developers get it.)

* After this, despite of the error message, everything seems alright
for the moment.  However, if I run OfflineIMAP again then, it produces
another, identical, message in the INBOX/tk folder.  This continues
arbitrarily often: Each time I run OfflineIMAP from that on, an
additional identical message is placed in the INBOX/tk folder.  Each
run of OfflineIMAP will also give an error similar to the first one.

* I can stop this by deleting *all* copies of this message from the
INBOX/tk folder (so that this message does not exist any more at all
on the MailDir side).  When I then run OfflineIMAP again, the message
re-appears once, with no error, and when I run it again, nothing
changes any more.

Can you please help me with this issue?

Best Regards,

Tim Kroeger

--
Prof. Dr. Tim Kröger
Georg Simon Ohm University of Applied Sciences
Keßlerplatz 12, Office KA.208            tim.kroeger at ohm-hochschule.de
90489 Nürnberg                                 Phone +49-911-5880-1871
Germany                                        Fax   +49-911-5880-5800