A problem with syncing from local to imap

Marcin Borkowski mbork at wmi.amu.edu.pl
Fri Jan 4 14:38:02 GMT 2013

Dnia 2013-01-04, o godz. 13:42:11
Marcin Borkowski <mbork at wmi.amu.edu.pl> napisaƂ(a):

> Hello,
>
> I installed offlineimap (version 6.3.4), configured it by modifying
> the example conf file as little as possible;), and tried to use it.
> It downloads the messages from the remote server properly, but somehow
> does not do the reverse (i.e., does not copy new emails from my local
> repository to the remote one).  After enabling debug, it complains
> about read-only remote repository (but I have readonly = False in
> my ~/.offlineimaprc).  I downloaded the newest (6.5.4) version, and
> the error message disappears, but the messages still don't get
> copied. (I need this behavior since I want to use a mail client which
> just copies sent messages to the "Sent" folder in my local maildir,
> and I want to have them copied to the remote server, too, in case I
> want to access my emails e.g. via web client.)  What may be the
> reason for this? Here is the relevant portion of my ~/.offlineimaprc:
>
> [general]
> metadata = ~/.offlineimap
> accounts = Main, Wmi, Mborkpl
> maxsyncaccounts = 3
> ui = Blinkenlights
> ignore-readonly = no
> socktimeout = 60
>
> [mbnames]
> enabled = no
> filename = ~/Mutt/muttrc.mailboxes
> header = "mailboxes "
> peritem = "+%(accountname)s/%(foldername)s"
> sep = " "
> footer = "\n"
>
> [ui.Curses.Blinkenlights]
> statuschar = .
>
> [Account Wmi]
> localrepository = LocalWmi
> remoterepository = RemoteWmi
> maxage = 365
>
> [Repository LocalWmi]
> type = Maildir
> localfolders = ~/Maildir/wmi
> sep = /
> restoreatime = no
>
> [Repository RemoteWmi]
> type = IMAP
> remotehost = imap.wmi.amu.edu.pl
> ssl = yes
> remoteuser = mbork
> remotepassfile = ***
> maxconnections = 2
> holdconnectionopen = no
> subscribedonly = no
> readonly = False
> cert_fingerprint = ***

Follow-up: this is what the message file is named (in case the filename
matters): 20130104-4cedd9f7eb.aga-netbook:2,S

I read on the net that the "unique name" should contain three
dot-separated parts, but after manually renaming the above to
20130104.4cedd9f7eb.aga-netbook:2,S the message still doesn't get
uploaded.

Also, I grepped the sources, and found the message I see in accounts.py:

        # Synchronize local changes
        if not remoterepos.getconf('readonly', False):
            ui.syncingmessages(localrepos, localfolder, remoterepos,
        remotefolder)
            localfolder.syncmessagesto(remotefolder, statusfolder)
        else:
            ui.debug('', "Not syncing to read-only repository '%s'" \
                         % remoterepos.getname())

This seems to be slightly modified in v6.5.4, to use getconfboolean
instead of getconf, and maybe this is why this message doesn't appear
then (I don't know, I know Python only a little, and don't have
enough time now to look deeper into this code); but still, the messages
don't get copied to the remote server.

I really hope this may be fixed somehow - it seems to me that I'm
doing everything correctly; OTOH, other users of mu4e (the
client I want to use) seem not to have such problems.

TIA,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University