xlabels

Dan Christensen jdc at uwo.ca
Mon Jan 21 15:51:01 GMT 2013

Stephen Eglen <S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> On Fri, Jan 11 2013, Dan Christensen wrote:
>
>> I believe that offlineimap inserts an
>>
>>   X-OfflineIMAP*
>>
>> header which is what it uses to see if a message is new.  It works
>> on the principle that messages are immutable, which is part of the
>> IMAP standard.  But if you remove that header, offlineimap will think
>> that the message was deleted and that a new message appeared, and
>> that should do the right thing.
> Ah. What version of offlineimap is that though?  I don't see these in my
> headers (v 6.5.2.1).

Digging deeper into my memory, I think that a little while ago,
offlineimap became smart enough to not add the header if the remote IMAP
server would let it know the uid of a newly uploaded message.  When the
remote server doesn't do that, offlineimap adds the header, uploads the
message, and then searches for the header to determine the uid.

So removing that header isn't actually going to be a solution to the
original question.  (In fact, even when the header is present,
offlineimap may not use it in the way I said.  So my quoted comment
above is probably not relevant.)

Sorry for the noise!

Dan