offlineimap, OSX, SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE and the cert_fingerprint?

X Ryl boite.pour.spam at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 11:46:48 GMT 2013

If you run offlineimap with no UI, then it'll print your server fingerprint
to stdout.
If you're paranoid, run it from a different IP to check if you still get
the same fingerprint.
Then copy and paste the fingerprint inside your .rc file, so you tell OI
that you allow it to accept this server.

To avoid MITM, there is no complete solution, but basically, if you connect
from numerous (unrelated) place to the same server and still get the same
fingerprint, then you're almost sure you're contacting the right server
(unless the MITM is just before the server, but then you can't do anything).

If you're using SSH, you already know that, it's the same security as with
the known_host file.

Regards,
Cyril