Speed up gmail message removal

Teto mattator at gmail.com
Sun May 19 16:16:15 BST 2013

Hi,

Having fought a lot before having a proper working setup (mutt + msmtp
+ offlineimap), I am still puzzled by gmail mechanisms.
I have read this post
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.mail.imap.offlineimap.general/5265
and even if I don't know imap specs I can't help but wonder if it's
not possible to move a mail from Inbox to Trash on the webserver
instead of removing it from Inbox and then reupload it. I want to
delete 15 MB messages but uploading 15MB is hard for my connection and
i have this kind of errors:

Copy message 206480 (33527 of 44298) gmail-remote:[Gmail]/All Mail ->
gmail-local
Copy message from gmail-remote:[Gmail]/All Mail:
Establishing connection to imap.gmail.com:993
Thread 'Copy message from gmail-remote:INBOX' terminated with exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/offlineimap/threadutil.py",
line 156, in run
Thread.run(self)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/threading.py", line 763, in run
self.__target(*self.__args, **self.__kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/offlineimap/folder/Base.py",
line 330, in copymessageto
message = self.getmessage(uid)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/offlineimap/folder/IMAP.py",
line 217, in getmessage
imapobj.select(self.getfullname(), readonly = True)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/offlineimap/imaplibutil.py",
line 57, in select
raise OfflineImapError(errstr, severity)
OfflineImapError: Server 'imap.gmail.com' closed connection, error on
SELECT 'INBOX'. Server said: command: EXAMINE => socket error: <type
'exceptions.IOError'> - Too many read 0

Folder [Gmail]/Trash [acc: gmail]:
ERROR: command: APPEND => no response after 60.0 secs

Regards

MAtt

I was also wondering if it was possible to download ails without their
attached files (especially on first import downloading 40k mails took
me 2 days)