AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'read'

Liam Healy lnp at healy.washington.dc.us
Tue Oct 22 20:55:35 BST 2013

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 5:11 AM, Eygene Ryabinkin <rea at codelabs.ru> wrote:
> Liam, good day.
>
> Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 11:16:18AM -0400, Liam Healy wrote:
>> I did a safe upgrade of Debian (stable) and now I am unable to sync
>> mail. For every mailbox, this error appears, and no other mail is
>> synced.
>>
>> WARNING: ERROR in syncfolder for ccs folder INBOX: Traceback (most
>> recent call last):
>>   File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/offlineimap/accounts.py", line
>> 306, in syncfolder
>>     statusfolder.cachemessagelist()
>>   File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/offlineimap/folder/LocalStatus.py",
>> line 72, in cachemessagelist
>>     if not line and not line.read():
>> AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'read'
>>
>> Filed as Debian bug report http://bugs.debian.org/726431 but I wonder
>> if there's some kind of workaround I can use now so I can get mail.
>>
>> Package: offlineimap
>> Version: 6.3.4-1
>
> Any chances to use 6.5.5?  The code in question was largely overhauled
> since 6.3.4, so the easiest way will be to use the newer code.  If it
> is not feasible we will try to find another way of fixing this.
> --
> rea

Thanks Eygene; I am wary of doing so. Unstable has version 6.5.4 which
has not even migrated to testing yet because of grave bugs (reports
are unanswered in a year and a half). Is there anything simple I can
do (keeping in mind that I know nothing of Python) to at least
diagnose where the problem is?

Thanks,
Liam