<DKIM> AssertionError in cachemessagelist

Isaac Bennetch bennetch at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 19:04:09 GMT 2014

Hello,

On 12/22/14, 12:29 PM, Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 11:35:04AM -0500, Isaac Bennetch wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Recently I'm getting the following error in two of the three IMAP
>> accounts I use through OfflineIMAP.
>>
>>> ERROR: ERROR in syncfolder for Home folder [Gmail]/All Mail: Traceback (most recent call last):
>>>   File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/offlineimap/accounts.py", line 407, in syncfolder
>>>     statusfolder.cachemessagelist()
>>>   File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/offlineimap/folder/LocalStatus.py", line 72, in cachemessagelist
>>>     assert(line == magicline)
>>> AssertionError
>>
>> I have opened a ticket [1] but wonder if anyone has seen anything like
>> this before. Obviously, it's not a widespread problem or my Google
>> searches would have turned up more help on the matter, but it would be
>> ideal if I could get it working again.
>>
>> 1 - https://github.com/OfflineIMAP/offlineimap/issues/134
>
> Since my last answer, I wonder how it is possible to get non ASCII
> characters from these files. Did you manuallly edit a local cache file
> at some point?

No.

> Please, show us the head of your LocalStatus files. They stands in the
> cache. Look for the Account-<name> with the name of the offending
> account:
>
>   % cd <cache path>/Account-<name>/Localstatus
>   % file *

[Gmail].All Mail: ASCII text

>   % head -v -n1 *

OFFLINEIMAP LocalStatus CACHE DATA - DO NOT MODIFY - FORMAT 2

(note that my `head` is apparently BSD head rather than GNU head so -v
is not a valid option, but there's only one file present).

I get the same output on both of my misbehaving accounts.

I've noticed a discrepancy -- running head on the account that works
properly gives

OFFLINEIMAP LocalStatus CACHE DATA - DO NOT MODIFY - FORMAT 1

Any thought about why the working accounr is FORMAT 1 and both
non-working accounts are FORMAT 2?

Thanks for the feedback!