<DKIM> Re:<DKIM> Yet another UID validity problem

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Fri Apr 3 09:44:40 BST 2015

Hi Nicolas, & list,

Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:

> I don't get how readonly might help you.

Doesn't this force a one-way-sync behaviour?  If I removed stuff
locally, the instruction will say to offlineinmap "don't remove anything
from the remote repository" (given, the instruction is fixed in the
remote repository's section in offlineimaprc). See also:
<http://superuser.com/a/648112/128768>.

If yes, then, have I had this instruction when I did my mistake, the
deletion of my mails locally wouldn't be reflected to the remote
repository.

This is the idea; let me play locally, to bring my maildir in the shape
I want by importing, for example, mbox files (which carry e-mails), and
organise them in the directories (or should I say folders?) I want.

Afterwards, remove the "readonly" and let offlineimap perform a two-way
sync.

(
Nicolas Sebrecht:

>> > This is not the same
>> > thing that removeing the _content_ of the directory which then
>> will
>> > reflect the
>> > changes, IOW remove all known messages on the remote.

Nikos Alexandris:

>> I don't understand this:  if I remove a folder, using the very
>> dangerous `rm -rf`, all of its content is lost as well. Right?
>> (Tip, I
>> have stopped using `rm -rf` and use, as much as I can, `mv stuff
>> /tmp`).

> /tmp is a bad idea because it might be wiped on reboot.

It will be wiped on reboot. Yet, it's much more safe actually!  Instead
of `rm -rf`, which means stuff are lost (and this is a pretty common
mistake for beginners), one has still time to "recover" stuff from the
/tmp (before rebooting, of course).  It usually goes like... quick
typing `rm -rf this/dir/`, you press Enter and then you realise.. oh No!
:D

In addition, I use the following aliases in bash:

# Prevent accidentally clobbering files.
alias rm='rm -i'
alias cp='cp -i'
alias mv='mv -i'
)

[..]
> I have no idea what these "archived mbox-es" are. You'll have to
> detail
> how you do exactly, step by step.

Importing can be done by opening an mbox file via mutt, then tag all
files and save them in an existing folder or a new one. It's just a few
keystrokes (<c> and <?> to navigate to a directory that contains an mbox
file, <T> to tag, <.> dot for all opened emails, <;> and <s> to save
all).

>> --%<--- .offlineimaprc --%<---

> Quick reviewed.

Thank you, Nikos