Using keyring to store password.

Rainer M Krug Rainer at krugs.de
Wed Feb 25 10:29:45 GMT 2015

Stephen Eglen <sje30 at cam.ac.uk> writes:

> Hi,
> I have the following in my .offlineimaprc
>
> [general]
> pythonfile = ~/offlineimap.py
> maxconnections = 3
>
> [Repository MyMailRemote]
> type = IMAP
> remotehost = imap.damtp.cam.ac.uk
> remoteuser = "sje30"
> remotepasseval = keyring.get_password('imap-damtp', 'personal')
> ssl = yes
> cert_fingerprint=6f602609295492a040f18a7f55d9e12a1d5a0ecd
>
> and "import keyring" is in my offlineimap.py file.  Is this a good way to
> store the password, or is there a better way?
>
> When I run offlineimap I then get the following error:
>  PLAIN authentication failed: [AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Authentication failed.
>
> but then the mail is copied across (presumably using another method).
>
> How do I prevent it trying the PLAIN auth method?

I can't comment on this, but I have the following and it works (OS X):

in .offlineimap.py:

import re, commands
def get_keychain_pass(account=None):
    params = {
        'security': '/usr/bin/security',
        'command':  'find-generic-password',
        'account':  account,
    }

    command = "%(security)s %(command)s -g -a %(account)s " % params
    outtext = commands.getoutput(command)
    return re.match(r'password: "(.*)"', outtext).group(1)

in .offlineimaprc (among other stuff):

[general]
pythonfile = ~/.offlineimap.py

[Repository RemoteRMKrugGMAIL]
type = Gmail
sslcacertfile = ~/certs/Certificates.cer
remoteuser = MyGmailAddress
remotepasseval = get_keychain_pass(account="RMKrugGmailOfflineimap")

I found this somewhere, but unfoertunately can't remember where.

Cheers,

Rainer