[offlineimap] Removal of "maxage" for imap-to-imap sync in 6.5.7 causes duplication of messages on sync (#242)

Lars Möllendorf notifications at github.com
Wed Sep 30 22:31:08 BST 2015

These are the local (dovecot) mailboxes:

.archive
.drafts
.forums
.providers
.sent
.support
.trash
.webshops

These are the remote mailboxes:

Entwurf
Gesendet
INBOX
Papierkorb
Postausgang

Please note: I had the other mailboxes (ads, archive, forums, providers, support, webshops) before, but I deleted them.

My nametrans rules are:

// remote -> local
nametrans = lambda foldername: foldername.replace('Entwurf', 'drafts').replace('Papierkorb', 'trash').replace('Gesendet', 'sent')

The only mailbox missing is "Postausgang" which I don't need locally

When I start offlineimap with the config above, the local mailbox list looks like this:

.archive
.drafts
.forums
.providers
.sent
.support
.trash
.webshops
INBOX
Postausgang
cur
drafts
new
sent
tmp
trash

So apparently offlineimap created "INBOX" instead of using the existing "cur"/"new"/"tmp"
"drafts" instead of using ".drafts"
"sent" instead of using ".sent"
"trash" instead of using ".trash"
And "Postausgang" should be ".Postausgang".

Please have a look at "Directory Structure" (http://wiki2.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/Maildir):

> By default Dovecot uses Maildir++ directory layout for organizing mailbox directories. This means that all the folders are directly inside ~/Maildir directory:
>
>    ~/Maildir/new, ~/Maildir/cur and ~/Maildir/tmp directories contain the messages for INBOX. The tmp directory is used during delivery, new messages arrive in new and read shall be moved to cur by the clients.
>
>    ~/Maildir/.folder/ is a mailbox folder
>
>    ~/Maildir/.folder.subfolder/ is a subfolder of a folder (ie. "folder/subfolder")
>

> You can also optionally use the "fs" layout by appending :LAYOUT=fs to mail_location. This makes the folder structure look like:
>
>    ~/Maildir/new, ~/Maildir/cur and ~/Maildir/tmp directories contain the messages for INBOX, just like with Maildir++.
>
>    ~/Maildir/folder/ is a mailbox folder
>
>    ~/Maildir/folder/subfolder/ is a subfolder of a folder

Seems like my dovecot instance uses Maildir++. Please note, that even the fs-layout does not have "INBOX" but  "cur"/"new"/"tmp".

Is offlineimap capable to manage Maildir++?

---
https://github.com/OfflineIMAP/offlineimap/issues/242#issuecomment-144548424