Sync deleted emails with Gmail

Florian Gamböck ml at floga.de
Tue Aug 16 18:31:12 UTC 2016

Hi Nicolas,

On 2016-08-15 22:21, Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:
> Are you sure about that? Emails moved to the trash will be re-uploaded
> and a new UID will be assigned while not from a UID MOVE command.
>
> I don't know if Gmail will detect the emails are the same and react
> accordingly. If so, I have no idea the rules they use to do this.
> Headers signature? Perfect content match?

although the "deleted" mail will get a new UID, the content stays the
same. I ran a few tests just now to confirm to what degree the messages
have to match.

If the mails are identical in content and header, then Gmail will detect
this and removes every single label of a mail it finds in [Gmail]/Trash.
It even works when the body is slightly altered (I added a single
character to the end of the body), as long as the Message-Id and the
Subject header match, there seems to be some kind of tolerance on the
body. It did *not* work when I added another word on a new paragraph. It
also didn't work when I changed either the Message-Id or the Subject
header.

So to sum it up: For the pure purpose of deleting a message, it is
totally sufficient to copy/move the email to the [Gmail]/Trash folder
and let Gmail do its black magic behind the curtains. After a maximum of
two invocations of offlineimap -- one for uploading the message to
trash, the second for getting information about the deleted mails in the
other folders -- the only copy that remains is in said trash folder and
will be purged by Google after about 30 days.

--
Regards

Flo