Sync deleted emails with Gmail

Dmitry Alexandrov 321942 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 03:11:34 BST 2016

Wojciech Żuk <wojciech.zuk at gmail.com> writes:

>> > Hi,
>> > I have problem, I use Gmail to collect e-mails from my 3 external
>> accounts.
>> > So I created fo every account in gmail labels with accountname\Inbox
>> > accountname\Sent and every of these folders are synchronised two-way
>> > without problem.
>> > Problem is with deleting email, when I delete message of any on my
>> external
>> > account using mail client (thunerbird, outlook), after synchronisation
>> > message is deleted from it's corresponding folder name on Gmail, but it
>> > stay in Gmail\All Mail.
>> > Because on Gmail only messages moved to Gmail\Trash are truly deleted.
>>
>> This is actually configurable on the server side.  But you have to use
>> non-free web-interface to be able to set the option: ‘Settings’ →
>> ‘Forwarding and POP/IMAP’ [0] → ‘IMAP Access’ → ‘When a message is
>> marked as deleted and expunged from the last visible IMAP folder’ =
>> ‘Immediately delete the message forever’.
>>
>> If you open ‘basic HTML’ interface that does not require non-free
>> Javascript, you will not see that option (as well as many others) in
>> settings dialog at all, as though it never existed.
>>
>> [0] https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#settings/fwdandpop
>>
> OK I've configured this option on GMAIL, but unfortunately it didn't help,
> deleted message from mail client is deleted from gmail imap folder but
> stays in Gmail\All Mail.

Hmm...  Works for me.

I only might suggest you to double check that you do not synchronize
your ‘[Gmail]/All mail’.

(I believe you do not expect that a letter that you removed from one
local folder (e. g. ‘INBOX’) but kept in another (e. g. ‘[Gmail]/All
mail’) should magically disappear from all of them — I would say that
such a behaviour is heavily broken.)