Sync deleted emails with Gmail

Dmitry Alexandrov 321942 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 03:32:06 BST 2016

Dmitry Alexandrov <321942 at gmail.com> writes:

>>> accounts.
>>> external
>>>
>>> This is actually configurable on the server side.  But you have to use
>>> non-free web-interface to be able to set the option: ‘Settings’ →
>>> ‘Forwarding and POP/IMAP’ [0] → ‘IMAP Access’ → ‘When a message is
>>> marked as deleted and expunged from the last visible IMAP folder’ =
>>> ‘Immediately delete the message forever’.
>>>
>>> If you open ‘basic HTML’ interface that does not require non-free
>>> Javascript, you will not see that option (as well as many others) in
>>> settings dialog at all, as though it never existed.
>>>
>>> [0] https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#settings/fwdandpop
>>>
>> OK I've configured this option on GMAIL, but unfortunately it didn't help,
>> deleted message from mail client is deleted from gmail imap folder but
>> stays in Gmail\All Mail.
>
> Hmm...  Works for me.
>
> I only might suggest you to double check that you do not synchronize
> your ‘[Gmail]/All mail’.
>
> (I believe you do not expect that a letter that you removed from one
> local folder (e. g. ‘INBOX’) but kept in another (e. g. ‘[Gmail]/All
> mail’) should magically disappear from all of them — I would say that
> such a behaviour is heavily broken.)

I have to clarify myself — just not to have a local synchonized copy of
‘[Gmail]/All mail’ is not enough (as Googlemail server, of course, have
no idea how you had configured your ‘offlineimap’ client); you have
disable IMAP access to it on server side: ‘Settings’ → ‘Labels’ [0] →
‘System labels’ → ‘All mail’ → ‘Show in IMAP’ = unchecked.  Then it
would no longer acts as a regular folder.

[0] https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#settings/labels