Speedup sync - Issue when network disconnectivity

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Thu Oct 13 00:53:43 BST 2016

Hi BenoƮt,

> offlineimap to start every 3 minutes) : socktimeout = 30
> autorefresh = 0.5
> quick = 10
> holdconnectionopen = yes
>
> If you/any other have some recommendation of theses parameters when using
> into a systemd entry would be nice.

I don't use "quick" at all, because it is also not very useful for me.
What I do is that I use
	-f
to select the various inbox folders on the quick run, and leave offlineimap
to sync all folders (no -f) on the long sync:

These are basically the first line of my mail-update script, if you are
interested in the full script (which also checks for connectivity etc)
let me know.

  UI=quiet
  longcommand="offlineimap -o -u $UI"
  shortcommand="offlineimap -o -f INBOX,Lists.debian-tex,Lists.texlive,Lists.texinfo,Lists.debian -u $UI"

where the -f lists all my default inboxes where mails are delivered via sieve or procmail.

> socktimeout (I tried to put 10 but sometimes it is not enough to connect
> to O365 or on some bad wireless connectivity)

I don't use that at all, but check internet connectivity as suggested in
the web site I linked to:
# Check connection status
if ! ping -c1 www.google.com > /dev/null 2>&1; then
    # Ping could be firewalled ...
    # '-O -' will redirect the actual html to stdout and thus to /dev/null
    if ! wget -O - www.google.com > /dev/null 2>&1; then
        # Both tests failed. We are probably offline
        # (or google is offline, i.e. the end has come)
        exit 1;
    fi
fi

Norbert

--
PREINING Norbert + TeX Live & Debian Developer + http://www.preining.info
GPG: 0x860CDC13    fp: F7D8 A928 26E3 16A1 9FA0  ACF0 6CAC A448 860C DC13