<DKIM> Is it safe to start two offline instances?

Nicolas Sebrecht nicolas.s-dev at laposte.net
Sun Nov 5 23:09:56 GMT 2017

On Sun, Nov 05, 2017 at 09:36:49PM +0100, Pétùr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a new user of offlineimap and so far, so good!
>
> I have a quick question: I use the autorefresh setting and it works
> well, but sometimes, I just want to check my emails without waiting
> for the autorefresh to be trigerred.
>
> Is it safe if I launch a second offlineimap instance? It could occur
> as the same time than the first one if I check my email exactly when
> the autorefresh is triggered.

It's safe, yes. Offlineimap handles per-account locks. However, I didn't
check if the lock is released after a refresh sync or when the refresh
run is stopped.

> If it is safe, how can you would do it? I can obviously start a
> terminal ("xfce4-terminal -e "offlineimap -o") but I don't want to see
> a terminal window appears.
>
> I guess power users of offlineimap as a proper solution for temporary
> emails check.

I guess most of the users open a terminal to manually start a run, yes.

With refresh mode, you can send a SIGUSR1 to start a full sync. See the
SIGNAL section of the manual.

  http://www.offlineimap.org/doc/offlineimap.html