<DKIM> Re: <DKIM> UID for syncing messages

Nicolas Sebrecht nicolas.s-dev at laposte.net
Wed Jul 4 01:36:51 BST 2018

On Tue, Jul 03, 2018 at 06:55:15PM +0000, J. Tull wrote:

> ok... do you have an idea of the weight of the work of adding this feature. I
> have never looked into the code of offlineimap but i could still try.

We can't tell. This depends on your skills.

>                                                                       Anyway,
> i'm still surprised that neither offlineimap nor mbsync have this feature
> while mutt uses it by default. I asked in mbsync mailing list the same
> feature and they replied the same as you, i.e. not planned and patches
> welcome.

There are use cases where Message-ID dups are expected, actually. E.g.
emails coming back from mailing lists.  This is not a valid reference
for syncing while that's what UID is for: uniquely identify emails
between the client and the server. Both are sightly different because
they don't serve the same purpose.

Also, the IMAP protocol and servers make it way slower to work with
email content (including headers) than with UIDs.

Thinking about this issue again, I'm not sure this feature would worth
the trouble. It's up to you, though.