Python 2 EOL

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Thu Jan 9 12:11:46 GMT 2020

On 1/8/20, Nicolas Bock <nicolasbock at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am sure this has been discussed previously, I just haven't been able
> to find anything about it.
>
> What's the plan for going beyond the Python 2 EOL?

i've written repeatedly about this.  the python software foundation is
not only hopelessly naive in its abandonment of python2 users, it's
bordering on negligence.

some extremely large organisations (including Military ones) are
literally trapped by maintenance agreements and massive software bases
which could, even if they had the budget to do so, take over a decade
to convert to python3, risking lives and entire financial systems in
the process.

although i do not expect the python software foundation to listen, i
would not be overly concerned about python2 going EOL.

aside from anything, there is always pypy.  the team behind it have a
lot more sense, and are continuing to provide major point-releases of
their python 2.7 compatible JIT compiler.

l.