[PKG-Openstack-devel] Comments regarding python-xstatic-d3_3.4.9-2_amd64.changes

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Thu Aug 21 21:38:18 UTC 2014

On 08/21/2014 09:56 PM, Thorsten Alteholz wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> thanks alot for the explanation, now I understand better.
>
> But now I stumble upon your debian/copyright. One __init__.py says that
> the xstatic-d3 files have the same license as d3js. According to [1] the
> license contains "* The name Michael Bostock may not (...)" and also
> differs in other points from your BSD-3-Clause-block. Strictly speaking
> you should not mention Radomir Dopieralski at all. And more strictly
> speaking the xstatic-d3 tarball must contain the license of d3js. Maybe
> you can talk with upstream about this. At the moment I am a bit hesitant
> to mark the package for accept ...
>
>   Thorsten
>

> [1] https://github.com/mbostock/d3/blob/master/LICENSE

Hi Thorsten,

Thanks for pointing this out to me. I think you were right to not accept
the package. I have corrected the debian/copyright file. Now it contains
different license sections for what's in xstatic/pkg/d3/data/* and the
rest (eg: the __init__.py file).

I do believe that Radomir Dopieralski should be mentioned, as he's the
author of the Python part, and I don't believe he gave his copyright
holder rights to Michael Bostock. Let me know if you think this is
wrong, in which case I'll keep only the d3 licensing.

BTW, thanks for the other packages approval (if it was you...). Note
that I only should have 2 remaining uploads for that series:
python-xstatic-jquery-ui and xstatic-bootstrap-scss. I'm not sure how to
deal with that one, as I need version 3, and Debian only has version 2.3
of bootstrap. Of course (otherwise, it wouldn't be fun...), version 2
and 3 are API incompatible! Do you think it'd be fine to just leave the
embedded copy of bootstrap-scss for that package? Or should I try to
package the full of bootstrap 3 and upload to Experimental (more work,
for something I will not really use...)?