[PKG-Openstack-devel] [MoM] Packaging manila

Malihe Asemani ml.asemani at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 21:55:59 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 2:13 PM, Andreas Tille <andreas at an3as.eu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> as I wrote in my first mail to this list[1] I'd like to extend the
> Mentoring of the Month concept as done in the Debian Med team[2] by
> exchanging the requirement of the topic "medical software" by "the
> student is a woman".  Malihe volunteered to become a MoM student[3] and
> suggested to work on Manila[4] since she is working on a Debian
> derivative focussing on OpenStack (Malihe, please correct me if I'm
> incorrect and be more precise to inform people here - I think this is
> relevant).

Well, Xamin is an echo-system of some Debian based platform products and
services like Virtulaization Platform, Virtual Appliances, IAAS as a public
cloud, and Continues Integration System(CIS) .
At a glance, I can say Xamin CIS builds packages, Iso-s, and Virtual
Appliances by committing on source code. Ready to use Appliances are
uploaded on Xamin MarketPlace,  Xamin Orchestrator Market, and Openstack
Glance.

As Andreas said, In the cloud section of Xamin we have focused on OpenStack
and try to provide a public IAAS with an easy to use interface for users.
Furthermore we have some plans for integrating Xamin IAAS with other Xamin
echo-system products completely.

So we are here and will tag our discussion with [MoM] in the subject
> line - if you might feel bothered by simple beginners questions it is
> easy to ignore these mails.  If you want to help us that's more than
> welcome since I neither have any idea about OpenStack in general nor do
> I know any specific policy converntions of your team.  If you do not
> have a team policy I will try to apply things written down in the Debian
> Med policy (at some point derived from Debian Perl policy) with some
> common sense.  Feel free to override whatever we do in VCS of you think
> it does not fit.
>
> The final goal is to introduce Malihe into your packaging team - please
> welcome her to make this a success. :-)
>
> Now for the technical stuff.  Feel free to comment with your insight.
>
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 11:26:12AM +0430, Malihe Asemani wrote:
> > Manila is a fork of Cinder project which is separated
> > from it in Kilo release. Maybe studying Cinder packing be helpful.
>
> I did a
>
>   gbp-clone ssh://git.debian.org/git/openstack/cinder.git
>
> I checked this and noticed that it is a bit complex for packaging.
> However due to Malihe's opinion Manila should be less complex.  She also
> found another approach:

> debianized
> than
> > >
> > > Did you found the source (*.dsc) file?  I need to check both before I
> > > can say.
> >
> > Yeap. I did. The link to the source files:
> > http://packages.ubuntu.com/source/vivid/manila
>
> So I did:
>
>   dget
> http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/m/manila/manila_2015.1~b2-0ubuntu1.dsc
>
> After inspection I would suggest the following steps to Malihe:
>
>    1. Create a login on http://alioth.debian.org
>       Note for beginners about a typical pitfall:  Assuming you register
>       with the ID "malihe" your alioth login will be malihe-guest (as
>       long as you are no DD).  Just make sure you always append the
>       '-guest' string to the name you are registering when logging in
>       to alioth.
>    2. Once you are accepted go to the openstack-devel project and
>       ask for membership.
>       [OpenStack admins: If ACLs for DDs are not set I'll register as
>        well but once we have finished this MoM project I'll become
>        inactive and you might like to remove me again]
>    3. Make sure you can
>
>           ssh alioth.debian.org
>
>       I have learned that it is *really* important to read this Wiki
>       article[5] to approach this successfully.
>
> Malihe, please confirm if you did this successfully or post any problem
> as verbose as possible here on this list.

Step one and two are done.
It was said that the joining request to a project needs about 24 hours to
be accepted. It is more than 24h that I have sent the request. But I still
have not received any confirmation. Also, there is not any info on my
Alioth page about adding the OpenStack project to my projects list.
Afterwards, I added my ssh-key using:
https://alioth.debian.org/account/editsshkeys.php
But I can't ssh to Alioth. Permission denied.

Once this is done we keep on
> with creating
>
>    ssh://git.debian.org/git/openstack/manila.git
>
> commit the current Ubuntu code base and proceed from here.  When doing
> so we will inform the current maintainers of the Ubuntu package about
> all single steps.  If we are lucky they will pull on the same end of
> the rope and we will finish easily.  (As promised if its "too easy" we
> keep on with another project - but I do not believe that anything that
> looks easy in the beginning is really easy in the end. :-))
>
> Okay, lets try it :)
Although, I already agree with your suggestion about doing another project,
after finishing this one ;)

> Any comments about this plan are more than welcome.
>
> Malihe, I'm looking forward in this MoM project with you
>
> Thank you. I'm delighted to be working in MOM with you :)
   Malihe

>       Andreas.
>

> [1]
> https://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/openstack-devel/2015-March/008586.html
> [2] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/MoM
> [3] https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2015/02/msg00045.html
> [4] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Manila
> [5] https://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/SSH
>
> --
> http://fam-tille.de

you can't start the next chapter if you keep re-reading the last one

mali