[PKG-Openstack-devel] [MoM] Packaging manila

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Tue Mar 31 09:43:48 UTC 2015

Hi,

as I wrote in my first mail to this list[1] I'd like to extend the
Mentoring of the Month concept as done in the Debian Med team[2] by
exchanging the requirement of the topic "medical software" by "the
student is a woman".  Malihe volunteered to become a MoM student[3] and
suggested to work on Manila[4] since she is working on a Debian
derivative focussing on OpenStack (Malihe, please correct me if I'm
incorrect and be more precise to inform people here - I think this is
relevant).

So we are here and will tag our discussion with [MoM] in the subject
line - if you might feel bothered by simple beginners questions it is
easy to ignore these mails.  If you want to help us that's more than
welcome since I neither have any idea about OpenStack in general nor do
I know any specific policy converntions of your team.  If you do not
have a team policy I will try to apply things written down in the Debian
Med policy (at some point derived from Debian Perl policy) with some
common sense.  Feel free to override whatever we do in VCS of you think
it does not fit.

The final goal is to introduce Malihe into your packaging team - please
welcome her to make this a success. :-)

Now for the technical stuff.  Feel free to comment with your insight.

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 11:26:12AM +0430, Malihe Asemani wrote:
> Manila is a fork of Cinder project which is separated
> from it in Kilo release. Maybe studying Cinder packing be helpful.

I did a

  gbp-clone ssh://git.debian.org/git/openstack/cinder.git

I checked this and noticed that it is a bit complex for packaging.
However due to Malihe's opinion Manila should be less complex.  She also
found another approach:

> > > Also, Manila is packaged in Ubuntu. Do you think reading the debianized
> > > source code of Manila (from Ubuntu Repo) will be a better approach than
> > > installing it manually? If so, where should I start from? Studying
> > > "install" and "rule" files?
> >
> > Did you found the source (*.dsc) file?  I need to check both before I
> > can say.
>
> Yeap. I did. The link to the source files:
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/source/vivid/manila

So I did:

  dget http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/m/manila/manila_2015.1~b2-0ubuntu1.dsc

After inspection I would suggest the following steps to Malihe:

   1. Create a login on http://alioth.debian.org
      Note for beginners about a typical pitfall:  Assuming you register
      with the ID "malihe" your alioth login will be malihe-guest (as
      long as you are no DD).  Just make sure you always append the
      '-guest' string to the name you are registering when logging in
      to alioth.
   2. Once you are accepted go to the openstack-devel project and
      ask for membership.
      [OpenStack admins: If ACLs for DDs are not set I'll register as
       well but once we have finished this MoM project I'll become
       inactive and you might like to remove me again]
   3. Make sure you can

          ssh alioth.debian.org

      I have learned that it is *really* important to read this Wiki
      article[5] to approach this successfully.

Malihe, please confirm if you did this successfully or post any problem
as verbose as possible here on this list.  Once this is done we keep on
with creating

   ssh://git.debian.org/git/openstack/manila.git

commit the current Ubuntu code base and proceed from here.  When doing
so we will inform the current maintainers of the Ubuntu package about
all single steps.  If we are lucky they will pull on the same end of
the rope and we will finish easily.  (As promised if its "too easy" we
keep on with another project - but I do not believe that anything that
looks easy in the beginning is really easy in the end. :-))

Any comments about this plan are more than welcome.

Malihe, I'm looking forward in this MoM project with you

      Andreas.

[1] https://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/openstack-devel/2015-March/008586.html
[2] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/MoM
[3] https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2015/02/msg00045.html