[PKG-Openstack-devel] Status?

Benedikt Trefzer trefzer at cirrax.com
Mon Jul 10 08:42:01 UTC 2017

Hi

On 10.07.2017 09:36, Ondrej Novy wrote:
> Hi,

> <mailto:zigo at debian.org>>:
>
>     I'm still willing to (help) maintain Newton for the life of
>     Stretch. But
>     currently, I don't think it's reasonable to claim I can continue
>     my past
>     work on the newer OpenStack release. This would need someone
>     sponsoring
>     me full time, otherwise it wouldn't be done well enough, and I don't
>     want to take the responsibility to do half of the work. Debian
>     deserves
>     better than this.
>

> thanks for this.
also thanks from my side.

> My plan is:
>
>   * organize OpenStack sprint at DebCamp/Debconf
>     2017: https://wiki.debian.org/Sprints/2017/OpenStack
>   * move non-openstack packages to other teams (example: python-pint
>     -> DPMT), explain in README how to carefully upgrade this packages
>     (for example check global requirements in OpenStack)
>   * create brand new repositories in alioth from current version in
>     Debian Archive with "gbp pq" + pristine-tar layout, compare with
>     current repository states in Gerrit
>   * use one branch per Debian release, don't try to have "more
>     supported version of OS in Debian stable"
>
> To all: Please comment this plan and add other suggestions.
Keep an eye on upgrade from one stable to another stable debian release.
currently (and probably in the future too), openstack only supports
incremental upgrade from one
OS release to the next (n+1).
Looking at the current debian release cycle you probably have os n in
stable and os n+x (beeing x >1) in the next stable debian release.
Which makes upgrades impossible.

I do not have a solution for this problem but I think it's worth
thinking about.
I see two possible ways to solve
- accept, (and document) that openstack upgrades are not possible in debian
- have the intermediat openstack releases as sort of unsupported, use
for upgrade only, packages available (eg. as snapshots ?) (but this
means you need all branches)

Best regards

Benedikt