[PKG-Openstack-devel] Status?

Benedikt Trefzer benedikt.trefzer at cirrax.com
Tue Jul 11 08:40:34 UTC 2017

Hi Ondrej

On 10.07.2017 16:33, Ondrej Novy wrote:
> Hi,

> <mailto:trefzer at cirrax.com>>:
>
>     Keep an eye on upgrade from one stable to another stable debian
>     release. currently (and probably in the future too), openstack
>     only supports incremental upgrade from one
>
> for example Swift supports upgrades even if version diff is > 1.

I do not know about swift, but you can add horizon, since it has no DB,
you can skip releases easily.

>     I do not have a solution for this problem but I think it's worth
>     thinking about.
>

> ack.
>

>     I see two possible ways to solve
>     - accept, (and document) that openstack upgrades are not possible
>     in debian
>

> this is not good solution :).
ACK

>     - have the intermediat openstack releases as sort of unsupported,
>     use for upgrade only, packages available (eg. as snapshots ?) (but
>     this means you need all branches)
>

> this is too much work and not straight forward for users. Why I should
> add unofficial repositories of OS just for upgrade?
>
> If it's possible with other Debian packages, we should found solution
> for OS too. I think it's possible to upgrade OS if version diff is >
> 1. It only needs to be tested, checked and fixed sometimes. Same
> "problem" is in Ubuntu when you are upgrading between LTS versions.
> How Ubuntu solves this?

The problem with the upgrades are the databases which needs upgrade.
with plain OS, db upgrades are only possible for n to n+1. So if you
want to support n to n+x upgrades in Debian you need to keep all the DB
migration script from earlier versions.
Even worse, at least nova (others I do not know) does some db-migration
during normal operation, which for large installations can take quite a
while (hours).

I think you have to do quite a lot of patching if you want to support n
to n+x upgrades.

I have no idea about Ubuntu's solution  !

Benedikt