[parted-devel] Re: Application for mentoring

GNU Summer Of Code workers summer-of-code at gnu.org
Fri Apr 21 21:31:38 UTC 2006

On 4/19/06, leslie.polzer at gmx.net <leslie.polzer at gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
>   I'd like to apply to mentor two GNU projects, Parted and fdisk.
> I am a maintainer of both of these packages and can mentor at least two
> students.
>
>   You can find student project proposals for Parted at
>
>   http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/soc.html

I have added in an external link to the list that I am working on (due
to go onto www.gnu.org soon).

>   Project ideas for fdisk are:
>
>   - develop and integrate the new frontend "gfdisk", which will offer
>     all of the functionality of "parted" via an fdisk-style interface
>
>   - develop the GNU version of "cfdisk"
>
>   - fix libparted issues that affect fdisk substantially (e.g. let the
>     user set geometry, fix the problems with BSD disk labels)
>
>   - make the Linux-compatible "fdisk" as similar as possible to its
>     original counterpart.
>
> I can elaborate on those tasks if needed.
> Perhaps two of them have to be bundled to keep one student busy.

Could you package them into bundles of the right size somehow?  I
don't have enough familiarity with the software to do it myself.

If you really don't care which M of the N tasks in total a student
proposes, invite the student to select for themselves and then when
you're giving feedback on their project before we agree to take it you
can tell them you think they have proposed too much or too little.

>   Anant Narayanan <anant at kix.in> is a developer for GNU Parted and also
> wishes to apply for mentoring this project.

Please forward  the becoming-a-mentor instructions if Anant doesn't
already have them.

Thanks,
James.