[parted-devel] keeping partitions in disk order

Andrew Gaffney agaffney at gentoo.org
Tue Aug 22 19:04:34 UTC 2006

With libparted, is there a way to preserve disk order on the partition numbers?
For example, if you have 1, 2, and 3, remove partition 2, and then create 2
partitions in its place, the disk order would now be 1, 2, 4, 3.

I've been using pyparted in the Gentoo installer for partitioning. I've had to
resort to removing all partitions, and then recreating them in the same places
along with the modifications to preserve disk order. But this has its own
issues. So, I'd like a way to preserve disk order without touching partitions
that don't need to be touched.

If this feature doesn't already exist, what would it take to implement it?

--
Andrew Gaffney                            http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
Gentoo Linux Developer                                   Installer Project