[parted-devel] labeling a drive that has data

leslie.polzer at gmx.net leslie.polzer at gmx.net
Sat Dec 2 15:11:30 CET 2006

On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 04:04:35PM -0500, Andrew Park wrote:

> I hope I am posting this on the correct mailing list. I really could
> not find one for parted users...
This is the right place.

> In any case, I have a 1.1 TB RAID system which recently expanded to
> 2TB by adding more drives to it. The RAID tool is reporting that the
> migration is completed, but the trouble is that OS is not seeing it.
Try using 'partprobe'.

> 1. Is it safe to label the disk at this point 2.
No.  Parted's 'mktable' and similar operations will give you a pristine
disk label, therefore destroying your partition layout information.  Use
'gpart' to restore your partition layout table if it's broken.

  Leslie

--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys DD4EBF83
http://nic-nac-project.de/~skypher/