[parted-devel] Wiki volunteer wanted

Anant Narayanan anant at kix.in
Fri Dec 8 07:08:49 CET 2006

Hi David,

> 1) It's somewhat irritating having components of the project scattered
> across different environments.  Source repo here, web site there,
> download location over there, mailing lists somewhere else.  I would
> like a central location for everything -or- as central as we can make it.

Trac is a good way to keep things in one place. We keep the releases and
website at gnu.org; while we let Trac handle the Wiki, Bug tracker. We
can link the existing repository from Trac (like Otavio mentioned, it
has a plugin for Git)

> 2) Is a wiki _that_ useful to the project?  Is there something the wiki
> can provide that we can't get from the web site and mailing lists?  Too
> many stimuli mean the project quickly gets to a point where no one can
> find any useful information.

Like Leslie mentions, a Wiki is useful for taking quick notes and
discussions. Mailing lists are Ok for the latter, but not the former.

> 3) Above everything, I'd like stuff stuff to *stop* moving around
> between version control systems and hosting sites.  The offers to do
> things are great, but we need to get real work done and leave the
> infrastructure alone for a bit.

I agree on this. We've made a lot of changes on the past few months, and
its confusing. But might I offer my services as your "infrastructure
person"? I don't seem to coding much anyway, and would be more useful to
the project this way :)

> I would like our resources to not be tied to any one distribution or
> company so as to avoid any wrong ideas that people might get.

Agreed on this; although I don't see a problem with using Debian's git
repository. It's not very easy to setup a Git repository on a more
"neutral" environment.

> But all of these things should be a lower priority than working on
> parted 2.0, unless you are dedicated infrastructure people.  Speaking
> of, we don't really have a description of who does what on the parted
> project.  How about we take some time to work up a diagram of our
> current structure and then figure out what people we need and what kind
> of work needs to be done?

Agreed again. You can leave all this infrastructure to me, while you
hack away :)

The timeline and task management features of Trac would be extremely
helpful in presenting information that you mention. We can clearly
define roles for every developer, create a timeline for Parted 2.0;
it'll all be very organized...

In Summary, setting up Trac someplace would result in:

Website & Release system on gnu.org
Version Control (Git) & Mailing Lists on debian.org
Bug tracker, Wiki, Collaboration etc (Trac) on ?

The Trac setup will link to the Git repository and Mailing lists, so you
would never actually need to goto debian.org at any time.

Let me know :)

Cheers,

- Anant