[parted-devel] Call for organization

Debarshi Ray debarshi.ray at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 06:56:37 CET 2006

Since this was already a long thread before I set my eyes on it, I am
not quoting anyone nor am I CC'ing it to anybody. I will just lay down
my opinions in this mail.

I was also thinking about having multiple language bindings to
libparted. My thinking was triggered by the libparted++ project
[1][2]. Since Python is a language I have started using from a few
months back, I am also interested in the Python bindings part.
However, I would like to read up a bit on language bindings before
starting to code.

The unit-testing framework is also something I am interested in. I
have a very elementary knowledge of unit-testing, but being a student
I have a lot of time to spare, and I think I can help Otavio in this.
Again I have to learn about unit-testing frameworks for C.

Regarding the role I would like to play in the development of GNU
Parted, I think the role of 'developer' is ideal for me. Being new to
disk partitioning utilities my knowledge is not specialized enough to
conecentrate on any specific part of the project. Maybe that might
change if I am able to learn enough about the things mentioned in the
previous couple of paragraphs.

It is a good idea to meet up on IRC once the initial speifications are
drafted and put on the Wiki. Leslie, could you just drop in the
contents of the Parted 2.0 roadmap (sent to the list) and the TODO
list (sent to me) on the Wiki, since they can serve as the initial
foundation from which we can proceed further.

It would also be a nice idea to post the log of the IRC session on the
list, Wiki, or some other place, since it would server as a means of
future reference. Moreover as many of us are from different timezones
doing different things during the day, if anybody misses out he an
atleast see what had happened during the session. In David's words,
that would help him to "be on the same page". :-)

Happy hacking,
Debarshi

[1] http://www.nongnu.org/libpartedpp/
[2] http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/libpartedpp/
--
Universities are places of knowledge.  The freshman each bring a
little in with them, and the seniors take none away, so knowledge