[parted-devel] Deprecation method

Otavio Salvador otavio at debian.org
Sat Dec 16 18:56:38 CET 2006

leslie.polzer at gmx.net writes:

>> > probe function. 2.0 will presumably return an integer between 0 and
>> > 100. When using a macro, we can have flexible semantics for legacy
>> > apps and new semantics for upgraded apps.
>>
>> Why do you wish to change that?
> This shall not be the discussion in this mail, but:
> We need to change it to support partition guessing.  You can't return a
> probability with only two values.

More or less using the idea of fusy logic? I got it.

>> Maybe would be better just break the compilation compatibility and
>> write a documentation explaning what has been change and how to port
>> the old application to the new code.
> Yeah, that sounds reasonable.  But how will you detect that the user
> hasn't adapted?

We can't detect. Basically, we need to write a very clear announce
with a good documentation that warns the user about those changes and
make the compilation break. _IF_ we don't add the deprecation warning
and just change the API we ensure that user will need to review the
code and also read the porting doc. That could be a way to get it.

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 GNU/Linux User: 239058     GPG ID: 49A5F855