[parted-devel] changes in 1.6.23 regarding disk geometry

Florian Effenberger floeff at arcor.de
Sat Jun 10 11:43:03 UTC 2006

Hi Otavio,

> You should be able to switch to 1.7.1 with just few modification, if
> any, in application that's using the API. If you have problems to
> figure out how to do that you can ask me in private and I can help
> you.

thanks for that generous offer, would like to take it! :-)

I'm fairly new to this HDD/EDD geometry problematic, and came across
this while using Unattended (http://unattended.sf.net) for unattended
installation of Windows workstations.

parted is being called via a script there to create the MBR and the FAT
partition (that later is being converted to NTFS by the Windows setup).
Up to 1.6.22 it works just fine, beginnin with 1.6.23 it does not work
anymore, the partition table gets created wrong (cfdisk shows the "NC"
for noncompatible). I also tried using 1.7.1, but it doesn't seem to cure.

I don't think Unattended uses the API, but rather the scripting facility
of parted, so I'm stuck with that.

May I send you the code that invokes parted, so you can look what could
need a change?

Thanks!
Florian