[parted-devel] Introduction of a new parted-devel list member

Otavio Salvador otavio at debian.org
Thu Jun 15 11:13:34 UTC 2006

Albert ARIBAUD <albert.aribaud at free.fr> writes:

> Harley D. Eades III wrote:
>
>>>To synthesize the discussion with Harley: currently, ext2/3 is handled
>>>by native code and indeed parted should switch to deferring some
>>>ext2/3 "knowledge" to external code. Whether it should link to
>>>libext2fs or call mke2fs/e2fsck/resize2fs (which use libext2fs
>>>themselves) has yet to be decided, and the decision will also have to
>>>take other filesystems into account.
>>
>> I feel that only adding a single dependency is more realistic then to
>> introduce many.  So IMHO linking to libext2fs would be more efficient.
>
> OTOH, libext2fs is part of e2fsprogs, which contains e2fsck,
> resize2fs, mke2fs and the like, so the dependency does not really vary
> whether we consider using the lib or the progs.

I agree and disagree here. I think that if we can use the library
directly here would be great also because allow us to plug it in our
code instead to write another layer to use the applications and write
a lot of code to parse the progress, errors and like.

>>>For the time being, I am setting up my devel environment and getting
>>>familiar with the parted code. :)
>>
>> Enjoy your journey..If you have any questions please feel free to
>> ask. :)
>
> I'm already asking questions, but so far these are directed to my
> Linux machine and take the general form of "why the heck do you need
> this old version of autoconf?" :)

We can update the build requirements of parted but we also should try
to keep them compatible with many versions as possible otherwise we
can make difficult to users to build it in old linux distributions and
this isn't our goal ;-)

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 GNU/Linux User: 239058     GPG ID: 49A5F855