[parted-devel] Introduction of a new parted-devel list member

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Thu Jun 15 11:50:39 UTC 2006

Otavio Salvador wrote:
> Albert ARIBAUD <albert.aribaud at free.fr> writes:

>>>I feel that only adding a single dependency is more realistic then to
>>>introduce many.  So IMHO linking to libext2fs would be more efficient.
>>
>>OTOH, libext2fs is part of e2fsprogs, which contains e2fsck,
>>resize2fs, mke2fs and the like, so the dependency does not really vary
>>whether we consider using the lib or the progs.
>

> I agree and disagree here. I think that if we can use the library
> directly here would be great also because allow us to plug it in our
> code instead to write another layer to use the applications and write
> a lot of code to parse the progress, errors and like.

We would probably need a layer for the lib as well, only different but
no less complex; after all, we would ask for the same progress and error
feedbacks. Frankly, until after I've had a look at all of parted's ext2
code, libext2fs's API and the ext2 progs, I won't say one is better than
the other.

>>>Enjoy your journey..If you have any questions please feel free to
>>>ask. :)
>>
>>I'm already asking questions, but so far these are directed to my
>>Linux machine and take the general form of "why the heck do you need
>>this old version of autoconf?" :)
>

> We can update the build requirements of parted but we also should try
> to keep them compatible with many versions as possible otherwise we
> can make difficult to users to build it in old linux distributions and
> this isn't our goal ;-)

Of course!

The problem was in my setup, not in the parted build. Once I installed
gettext-devel, the autogen.sh phase went well. Now for the configure and
build, but that's going to have to wait until tonight french timezone
I'm afraid.

Amicalement,
--
Albert.